Friday, September 17, 2010

Discussion: Games vs. Movies

So let's start with a random topic and discuss our views upon it. Seeing as I have very few followers at the moment, I will pick today's topic for everyone. Today we will talk of something small to get us started off in the right directions. Let's say, hmm . . . Video Games vs. Movies. Which is better? Why? Any special memories relating to either subject? Which takes up more of your time? Which do you think is worse for your procrastination habits? How much time do you spend playing/watching said subjects?

I personally have a passionate love for both and it's probably somewhat unhealthy. I get distracted with games with the utmost ease and movies just seem so convenient to multitask with. Procrastination is a key element here that is ultimately my downfall.

I am going to have to make my stand saying games are better because they are so much more alluring than movies. Then again, I am more of a caveman, never wanting to leave the hallowed corners of my house. I am definitely more of a hardcore gamer as well, not playing often, but when I do I want to play or five or more hours wasting away the entirety of the day. I remember my two older brothers starting me into gaming with games like Super Mario World, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time, Duke Nukem, and eventually with the birth of the Playstation 2 Dynasty Warriors (DW3 and up). I became so enthralled at a young age with secret agents, knights, magic swords and the like that it shaped who I am today. I stand before you (or sit rather) as a medieval-nut, hell bent on writing fantasy novels because of my abounding sense of creativity I get from playing so many video games. I will admit books had something to do with it, but that's not what we're talking about right now. I am always interested to talk about video games because they are what started my fascination with fiction.

As for movies, I believe they are more for a group of people to share in the experience than for a single person to enjoy in their spare time. I like movies because I like to see people's reactions to things and share the adventure with them. This drives my wife nuts because she always catches me saying things like "you'll love this next part" or "remember what he said for later". I guess I'm kind of a movie spoiler and just never fully came to the realization until now. I always do enjoy a good epiphany.

So what do you think? Throw me some comments and I'll do my best to reply to all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment